Librarians & Archivists in the Movies: A Quiz
by Bill Carner
Special Collections, Ekstrom Library
- The Name of the Rose
- You're a Big Boy Now
- The Serpent's Egg
- Wings of Desire
- Fahrenheit 451
- The Big Sleep
- Desk Set
- Desk Set
| Off Beat|
13. Shawshank Redemption
14. Party Girl
15. Goodbye, Columbus
17. The Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag
18. It's a Wonderful Life
19. Sleeping With the Enemy
20. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- A young girl tries to read all the books in the card catalog in order.
- Jack Nicholson calls an archivist a "weasel" as he surreptitiously tears out the page of a book.
- Sean Connery is nearly killed by a very user-unfriendly classification system.
- In a future where all books are burned, the "library" is a clearing in the forest where rebels learn and recite books.
- Philip Marlowe must deal with a librarian and rare book dealer/pornographer.
- This movie features one of the all time great spelling songs (and a librarian named Marian).
- In this version of the future the central computer library has "lost" the 13th century.
- Convicted murderer revitalizes prison library.
- Librarian Julia Roberts tries to "disappear" by faking her death and moving to another city, where she takes a job as...a librarian.
- The monster which wants to destroy New York emerges from the New York Public Library.
- The hero's wife would've been a librarian if he'd never existed.
- Spencer Tracy brings in a computer named EMERAC to take over the reference department of a TV network.
- Out of work trapeze artist David Carradine takes a job in a 1933 Berlin archive.
- Kid is knocked unconscious in library, takes magical journey instead of calling Becker Law Office.
- German angels hang out in Berlin Library when off duty.
- Roller-skating New York Public Library stacks page falls in love in this Francis Ford Coppolla 60's coming-of age movie.
- A New York girl works in library to repay a loan of bail money and decides to become a librarian.
- Another NYPL library clerk on skates in a mistaken identity comedy.
- Humble librarian pursues country club heiress Ali McGraw.
- Shy librarian becomes celebrity when she finds a murder weapon and takes a few shots with it, as well as
credit for the murder.
|Click here for answers.|